Back to School

I started a new job this week. I am back to teaching. It is so nice to get out of the house and feel productive again. I teach introductory pharmacy, law, and math courses. Unlike my last job where I was the program director in charge of EVERYTHING, now my only duties are preparing for class, teaching, and keeping grades and attendance! It is fabulous.

It is quite a culture shock coming from Utah. A typical student profile there was female, white, twenties, & LDS.

Here I would say over 80% of our students are Haitian. The students' native language is Creole which is based on French. (Guess my 6 years of taking French may serve a purpose after all!?) So, I am learning to understand new accents.

Never has my blond hair and pasty white skin stuck out so much! (Seriously it is WAY too hot and humid to stay outside long enough to get a tan.) Also nobody here has ever heard of a Mormon and the staff can't figure out why I don't do espresso shots with them in the morning. How do you explain mormon culture where we tote around big gulps but don't drink coffee to a bunch of Floridians?!?

Comments

congrats on the new job!! sounds like you have some great missionary work ahead of you :) Best of Luck!
michelledudley said…
heather -
i had a great visit with your mom last week and it was fun to catch up on everyone - and your good news about a new job. i hope that you love it. have fun in utah with cari when #2 arrives!
michelle
tiffy girl said…
Heather, I didn't know you were teaching! That is awesome. Where are you teaching at???

Popular posts from this blog

Remember that old Extreme song...

Blogging again!

This is me... on Plavix