Heart Update
So, it has been months since I was diagnosed with a PFO (basically a hole in the heart). You would think, that sounds pretty bad, better get that repaired, right?
Not necessarily. I was told that I would have to have my heart "patched" by a pediatric cardiologist. (I like the term patched- makes me feel like they are fixing a bicycle tire). This is pretty specialized- not many people do it and my neurologist only wanted me to go to a University affiliated facility- so here that means University of Miami.
Anyways, the pediatric surgeon said he only repairs PFO's on adults who have previously had a stroke. So let's review the logic here. I will repair a PFO but I am going to WAIT until you have a stroke to do so. My cardiologist explained that I was wanting to get pregnant soon and explained his concerns about how high risk this would make me, but again the surgeon insisted he would only do the surgery if I had previously had a stroke. So now I will be a pregnant woman having a stroke. Even better. Sorry little baby, mommy can only hold you on one side of her body. Horrible!
I went back to my neurologist and gave him the news. Needless to say, he was LIVID. We started brainstorming other options and he starting researching surgeons at University of Florida. I have no loyalty. Go Hurricanes! Go Gators! Somebody just fix me!
Before anything came of this, I mentioned to the pharmacy class I teach about what was going on. One of my students tells me that her best friend is a cardiology nurse and should she give her a call. The hospital she works at is in the top 25 for cardiology care in the nation. She calls back and gives her the name and number of a highly recommended surgeon at the University of Miami. This guy has amazing credentials and he is willing to repair me before I have a stroke. How about that! My appointment isn't until May 1st.
I know that I am not the most patient person ever. But I really am trying. I believe that Mike and I ultimately will be blessed for the patience we have had through these trials. I am expecting one dang cute baby in the end!!! And how amazing that I get my link to a surgeon from a student, not one of my doctors or the many medical professionals I work with. We have three doctors on staff, surgical techs, even an echocardiogram program at my school. Go figure!
Not necessarily. I was told that I would have to have my heart "patched" by a pediatric cardiologist. (I like the term patched- makes me feel like they are fixing a bicycle tire). This is pretty specialized- not many people do it and my neurologist only wanted me to go to a University affiliated facility- so here that means University of Miami.
Anyways, the pediatric surgeon said he only repairs PFO's on adults who have previously had a stroke. So let's review the logic here. I will repair a PFO but I am going to WAIT until you have a stroke to do so. My cardiologist explained that I was wanting to get pregnant soon and explained his concerns about how high risk this would make me, but again the surgeon insisted he would only do the surgery if I had previously had a stroke. So now I will be a pregnant woman having a stroke. Even better. Sorry little baby, mommy can only hold you on one side of her body. Horrible!
I went back to my neurologist and gave him the news. Needless to say, he was LIVID. We started brainstorming other options and he starting researching surgeons at University of Florida. I have no loyalty. Go Hurricanes! Go Gators! Somebody just fix me!
Before anything came of this, I mentioned to the pharmacy class I teach about what was going on. One of my students tells me that her best friend is a cardiology nurse and should she give her a call. The hospital she works at is in the top 25 for cardiology care in the nation. She calls back and gives her the name and number of a highly recommended surgeon at the University of Miami. This guy has amazing credentials and he is willing to repair me before I have a stroke. How about that! My appointment isn't until May 1st.
I know that I am not the most patient person ever. But I really am trying. I believe that Mike and I ultimately will be blessed for the patience we have had through these trials. I am expecting one dang cute baby in the end!!! And how amazing that I get my link to a surgeon from a student, not one of my doctors or the many medical professionals I work with. We have three doctors on staff, surgical techs, even an echocardiogram program at my school. Go figure!
Comments
Hope for sure we can see you while I am in Miami - Apr 21-May 19. Come for dinner!
Carolyn H.
love michelle